A thriving, mission-driven multimedia organization, NPR produces award-winning news, information, and music programming in partnership with hundreds of independent public radio stations across the nation. NPR listeners value information, creativity, curiosity, and social responsibility – our employees do too. We are innovators and leaders in diverse fields, from journalism and digital media to IT and development. Every day our employees and member stations touch the lives of millions worldwide.
NPR is seeking an experienced web editor to develop sharply focused, high-impact stories for our digital audiences. The ideal candidate will have 8+ years of news editing experience with most of that in a web-first environment. We’re looking for an editor who understands both storytelling and social media. Knowledge and experience with SEO best practices is a must. NPR is a big, fun newsroom filled with talented people and big ideas, and this editor will play a crucial role in helping to shape those ideas and deliver them in ways that exceed the high expectations of our web audience. We want an editor who is imaginative, skilled and fast.
Essential Duties Include:
1. Edits online daily and sometimes future stories as assigned, working directly with reporters, correspondents and producers on web stories.
2. Partners with Engagement/Social team to optimize story presentations for digital audiences, paying particular attention to timing, social promotion and display type
3. Coordinates with other digital editors to assure assignments don’t overlap
4. Initiates story conversations with senior newsroom leaders, on desks, shows or digital, proposing story ideas that will meet the needs of our digital audiences
5. As requested, handles news shifts: working on deadline and under pressure, writes excellent headlines, teasers and other display copy for all assigned stories
6. Collaborates with producers to create multimedia elements: videos, audios, photo galleries, interactive elements.
7. Determines needs for rights clearances and permissions for acquired material. Acquires and files permissions and clearances.
8. In the case of assigned material to outside talent, manages contract negotiation and filing (with supervision).
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you. If you apply for this job, here’s what you can expect in our interview process.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development. NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Follow us on Twitter at @NPRjobs, as well as #NPRlife for ‘behind the scenes’ tweets from our colleagues.