The Independent Mail is a dynamic, award winning media organization and the leader in delivering engaging news, information and entertainment in Upstate South Carolina. We cover our Community and Clemson University athletics. We are looking for a Photographer/Videographer to create and develop visual storytelling across multiple platforms, using photography, videography and text to inform, engage and entertain our audience.
A qualified candidate should demonstrate high command of techniques and sophisticated craftsmanship in photo/video storytelling and community engagement. Strong experience with Sports photography a plus. And the ability to shoot subject matter that lends itself to ancillary publications (books, posters, etc.)
In this position, you will also act as a public ambassador through community outreach, and will be expected to connect with readers – through social media, on camera and in person through forums and other live events. Works on special projects and performs editing of visuals when needed.
A qualified candidate should have:
· Exceptional core photojournalism skills (reporting, photography and videography).
· Ability to use basic and advanced computer programs, including but not limited to video editing software and Adobe Photoshop.
· Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our customers’ time and money.
· Self-motivation and self-direction.
· Industry knowledge.
· Organizational skills.
· Understanding of social media and how to respond and engage fan base on digital platforms.
· Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
· Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
· Knows how to use time efficiently in a 24-hour news environment.
· Works collaboratively within a cross-functional environment.
This individual will be using their talents for Independent Mail, independentmail.com, Orange and White weekly sports publication and orangeandwhite.com. We are located in Upstate South Carolina with easy access to Greenville SC, Atlanta GA, Charlotte and Asheville NC and the SC beaches. Great quality of life community.
Please apply online at jmg.com/careers.