Fall Foliage Photography Package
Led by National Geographic Photographer Jeff Mauritzen, this unique all-inclusive fall foliage workshop is designed for beginner to intermediate photographers who are interested in vastly improving their digital photography and photo editing skills. Participants will capture the beauty of the heart of Virginia’s wine and horse country during the area’s most beautiful time of the year.
In this class, you’ll learn how to creatively control aperture, shutter speed and ISO to create images that go beyond the typical “postcard” shot. All participants must bring a digital SLR or mirrorless camera, a laptop computer, and software for organizing and presenting images (ideally Adobe Lightroom). A tripod, while not required is highly encouraged. The workshop is limited to 16 participants.
The following is our planned itinerary; however, our schedule is flexible to allow for spontaneous photographic opportunities.
Package includes all of the below items:
Day 1 (November 6)
- 4 p.m. – Resort arrival
- 5 – 6 p.m. – Welcome cocktail and reception in the Library (resort background, workshop overview and contest rules)
- 6 – 8:30 p.m. – Dinner in the Cooking Studio (food shots) – basics of food photography
Day 2 (November 7)
- 6 a.m. – Breakfast in Harrimans
- 7 – 9 a.m. – Morning assignment (horses, nature, history)
- 9 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. – Digital Workflow in Aldie Room at Equestrian Center: Learn how to organize, edit and critique your photos using Adobe Lightroom
- 12 – 1:30 p.m.: Lunch in Gold Cup Wine Bar
- 2 p.m. – Departure to Skyline Drive (or other scenic drive dependent on leaf conditions)
- 2:30 – 5 p.m. – Afternoon assignment
- 5 p.m. – Return to resort
- 5:30 – 7 p.m. – Leisure time to explore property and dinner on own
- 8:30 – 9:30 p.m. – Optional s’mores and hot cider around fire pit and short lesson on nighttime photography
Day 3 (November 8)
- 8 a.m. – Farewell breakfast and a presentation of the workshop’s best images as well as final Q&A session
- 11 a.m. – Check-out