The Dallas Morning News is currently looking for a Photographer with two to six years of photojournalism experience to cover the Dallas/Ft Worth area. The position will work out of our downtown Dallas office. The successful candidate will be able to use digital cameras and mobile phones in the transmission of photographic images and videos, on deadline, to the website and newspaper. You will also be required to generate story ideas for your work and photo galleries from your work. Must be willing to work a flexible schedule that includes nights and weekends.
This position is accountable for shooting photographs and video of newsworthy events, locations, people, or other illustrative or educational material for use in the The Dallas Morning News print and digital products. These images and videos should achieve visual and photographic excellence.
• Receives assignments on a daily basis from various originating desks and travels to assigned location to take pictures, video, audio and produce sound slideshows.
• Originates ideas and produces independent stories and/or single photographs, video, audio and slideshows for The Dallas Morning News and on dallasnews.com.
• Attend newsworthy events: produce, edit and caption photos and video.
• Post blogs, tweets, and Facebook post to dallasnews.comphotography accounts.
• Edit with a photo editor, scans the image(s), and provide caption information in a timely manner in accordance with the normal workflow of the newspaper.
• Submit pictures and videos to editorial personnel. Receive caption approval from Photo Desk.
• Put subjects at ease for successful execution of photographs and videos.
• Obtains approval from subjects to publish photographs or videos.
• Produce content for rich multimedia experiences. Continue to learn new technologies for producing content specifically for the iPad (360’s, Lytro, animated gifs, etc.)
• Edit video in Final Cut Pro on a MacBook Pro laptop from remote locations on deadline.
• Light diverse and sometimes difficult situations with external lights, off camera strobes, video lights and remotes to fire them when necessary
• Record audio in line with industry best practices. Also, deep knowledge of how different microphones produce different results
• Must be able to edit, tone and caption all pictures, sending the digital photographs for newspaper and web deadlines.
• May be required to carry moderately heavy gear.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in photography, film, video or a related field. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted. Experience: Two to six years experience as a photojournalist or video photojournalist is usually necessary to develop adequate newspaper photography and video skills. Skills: Experience with MacBook Pro laptop, Adobe Photoshop, Photo, Mechanic and Final Cut pro to shoot and edit pictures and video on deadline a must. Social media and blogging also required. Current and comprehensive of and ability to apply camera operation as well as extensive knowledge of lighting all types of sets and scenes indoors and outdoors also required. Must have the ability to apply this knowledge in a wide variety of situations. Must be proficient in using a digital camera in the transmission of photographic images. PhotoShop, and sound recorders. Must also be able to demonstrate basic writing skills.
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org