The National Museum of African American History and Culture may be hiring a contractor to manage object handling, rehousing and digital imaging services. The contractor would be responsible for the following:
- Digital scanning and photography
- Using flatbed and overhead scanners and digital cameras to create digital images of collections and other materials
- Working in Microsoft Word; Microsoft Excel; a museum collection information system, The Museum System (TMS); Adobe Photoshop and Bridge; and other image processing and editing software
- Handling a wide variety of museum collection objects in compliance with best museum practices, including moving collection objects, unframing, unmatting, reframing, rematting, rehousing, and creating custom housing for museum collection objects
- Assisting other digital imaging specialists with scanning and photography of collection objects, set ups for scanning and photography, and object handling
- Processing and editing digital images
- Embedding metadata into digital images and other digital assets for the SI Digital Asset Management System (DAMS), TMS, and Enterprise Digital Asset Network (EDAN)
- Creating, modifying, or updating records in DAMS and TMS.
- Assisting with management of digital assets
- Working closely with the Museum’s collection management, curatorial, and digitization staff, contractors, volunteers, and interns on the Museum’s digitization initiatives
If interested in the contracting position, please send résumés to email@example.com. We are gathering a pool of applicants and will be in touch with those whose résumés indicate they are the best fit for the position.
Thank you for your time and interest,
Office of Curatorial Affairs
Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture