The Washington Post, one of the leading digital properties in the world, is looking for an outstanding journalist to direct its editorial video operation. With more than 30 million unique users a month and a newsroom that won two Pulitzer Prizes this past spring, The Post seeks a creative force who has innovative ideas and can produce compelling video story telling experiences.
Reporting to the Managing Editor for Digital and working with the General Manager for Video, the Director of Editorial Video will manage an award-winning group of more than 40 professionals focused on delivering video to washingtonpost.com and syndicated sites.
You are a leader with knowledge of broadcast production and extensive experience in online video production. You know what works in the digital space, and you have a proven track record of understanding the art of storytelling by combining motion graphics, video, and music within budgetary and time constraints. You are a highly collaborative leader who can cultivate strong relationships with people in multiple functions and structures. You have proven success influencing others without formal authority.
- Direct planning, development and acquisition of a continuous flow of video content by understanding news trends, balancing efficiencies of video production versus aggregation, and collaborating with Newsroom on creative concepts.
- Ensure high-quality video content by reviewing and approving creative concepts, video content and editorial direction for video production and curation/aggregation.
- Manage the work of a video production team to conceive, produce, edit and ready video for online and wireless media productions or presentations.
- Manage video production resources, assets, equipment and staff. Create and monitor schedules and budgets to ensure timely and cost effective video content generation.
- Coach, mentor, and develop the team of video production managers and individual contributors.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- 6 years of video production experience, with a minimum of 3-4 years of digital video experience.
- 3-5+ years of management experience.
- Solid experience in conceiving and developing concepts and pitches for video as part of larger content development to drive traffic across digital, social and mobile platforms.
- Excellent communication, influencing, and collaboration skills
- Knowledge and understanding of broadcast and online production processes.
- Proven success in creation and delivery of video assets for digital media.
Interested candidates should contact Emilio Garcia-Ruiz at email@example.com or Tracy Grant at firstname.lastname@example.org by Aug. 15.