A thriving, mission-driven multimedia organization, NPR produces award-winning news, information, and music programming in partnership with hundreds of independent public radio stations across the nation. NPR listeners value information, creativity, curiosity, and social responsibility – our employees do too. We are innovators and leaders in diverse fields, from journalism and digital media to IT and development. Every day, our employees and member stations touch the lives of millions worldwide.
Grow, evolve and define the presentation of visual content about food, health, science and environment at NPR.org. Make, track and edit assignments; cultivate and maintain relationships with visual and news staff, freelance journalists and agencies to produce high quality video and multimedia presentations; with an eye towards creating on-going multimedia storytelling at the NPR Science Desk. Serve as a leading advocate and partner for desk multimedia journalists. Act as an educator for visual journalism and work to fully integrate multimedia with NPR’s multi-platform strategy.
- Act as a visual and thought leader on NPR’s Science Desk team. Grow, evolve, and define compelling multimedia for Science Desk digital content. Generate multimedia story ideas and develop signature multimedia features .
- Serve as a mentor and editor for highly talented multimedia staff as they experiment and grow. Supervise and partner with Science Desk multimedia journalists, providing guidance, support and expertise on projects involving photography, illustration, animation, audio, music and video.
- Supervise creation of visually compelling presentations using multiple media. May do any or all of the following: create original art, assign and edit stories, edit captions, pictures, audio, video, animation, and assemble the whole. Provide expertise and guidance on new software and emerging creative tools. Work with the Supervising Senior Producer for NPR Visuals to develop multimedia skills in the staff of NPR.
- Select and supervise Science Desk multimedia interns.
- Oversee and partner on desk visual staff and assignments. Work with the Supervising Senior Producer for NPR Visuals and the Supervising Senior Editor of the Science Desk to develop and implement standards and styles for NPR’s visual journalism.
- Find, recruit and nurture highly talented freelance multimedia storytellers, illustrators and visual designers. Work with NPR Visuals and the Science Desk to identify, develop and maintain freelance sources of photography, graphics, animation, and video. Make, track and edit freelance photo, illustration, infographic, animation and video assignments. Handle freelance schedules, payments and contracts and monitor budgets.
- Work under the Supervising Senior Editor of the Science Desk and Supervising Senior Producer for NPR Visuals. Also collaborate with NPR technical and business development teams.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Photojournalism, design, photography, multimedia, or a related field.
- At least five years’ experience as an art or multimedia editor at media companies, newspapers, magazines or news services (print, broadcast, or web).
- Demonstrated excellence as a mentor and project manager.
- Demonstrated excellence in multimedia storytelling and editing.
- Experience working on a Web publication and demonstrable passion for new media tools and techniques. Familiarity with a variety of computer systems and software applications: ability to incorporate changes in equipment, software and workflow.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, a teamwork mentality, flexibility and sense of humor.
- Understanding of journalistic ethics. Experience maintaining high journalistic standards under deadline pressure, including standards of objectivity, balance and fairness.
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you. All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
If you apply for this job, here’s what you can expect in our interview process. If you’re checking out technical or digital roles, here are some additional things you should consider about what you’ll experience at NPR.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development. NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer.