Lead our visual coverage of daily and live news events across all NPR platforms from NPR.org to our primary social channels. The goal of this position is to serve as the newsroom’s leading voice on visual news presentations throughout the day and as the primary point of contact on visual issues for shows, desks and our home page editing team. We expect the Daily Picture Editor to drive an endless conversation across the newsroom on the importance of visual journalism and to help raise the visual literacy of the organization. Bring energy and sophistication to our daily visual coverage, thinking expansively about types of content and the best ways to deliver it.
- Plans online visual coverage of developing and future stories: coordinates with shows and desks. Coordinates editorial assignments with other editors and producers.
- Upholds the highest standards for the visual tone of our news coverage.
- Occasionally writes blog posts.
- Surveys NPR broadcasts, news wires, competition and internal communications to make sure site and coverage visual plan is optimized and smart.
- Develops and teaches a curriculum of visual best practices for our news staff.
- As requested, handles news shifts: working on deadline and under pressure.
- Occasionally produces and/or writes web packages and original stories: works with shows and desks to initiate story ideas; researches and/or reports and writes; identifies and edits photos; creates multimedia elements; locates appropriate links.
- Provides oversight of program and topic pages: keeps abreast of events and available NPR coverage.
- Works with producers to create multimedia elements: videos, audios, photo galleries, interactive elements.
- Assigns, develops and edits original stories from other NPR staff and from contract talent.
- Determines needs for rights clearances and permissions for acquired material. Acquires and files permissions and clearances.
- In the case of assigned material to outside talent, manages contract negotiation and filing (with supervision).
- Other duties as assigned.
Education: College degree and/or equivalent work experience.
- Five or more years’ experience picture editing for the web.
- Experience teaching others the principals of visual storytelling.
- Demonstrated ability to innovate in visual web presentations.
- Demonstrated ability to generate and execute creative ideas, to assimilate and organize large amounts of information.
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- Solid, independent news judgment.
- Experience maintaining high journalistic standards under deadline pressure, including standards of objectivity, balance and fairness.
- A steely, unshakable sense of journalistic ethics.
- Ability and willingness to work off-hours shifts, including very early mornings, nights and/or weekends.
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure. Incumbent must be able to edit photos for breaking news with speed and distinction.
- Ability and willingness to relocate. In the future, NPR may choose to transfer employees to other geographic locations. Severance provisions of the AFTRA collective bargaining agreement will apply should you choose not to accept a transfer.
- Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system.
- Thorough knowledge of online writing and audio production.
- Experience and skill with web publishing software.
- Experience producing on digital audio workstations.
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you. All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
See full description here: https://careers-npr.icims.com/jobs/1913/news-picture-editor%2c-visuals/job