Corp Tech – Sr. Project Manager – Editorial Solutions and Media Services Job
Date: Feb 27, 2014
Location: London, GB
We are the leading source of intelligent information for the world’s businesses and professionals, providing customers with competitive advantage. Intelligent information is a unique synthesis of human intelligence, industry expertise and innovative technology that provides decision-makers with the knowledge to act, enabling them to make better decisions faster. We deliver this must-have insight to the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, intellectual property and science and media markets, powered by the world’s most trusted news organization.
Join the Thomson Reuters technology team as a critical member of the Project Management Office for the Platform Technology organization. The Platform group was created to eliminate duplication, reduce costs, improve product time-to-market and create a set of common best-of-breed platform assets. The Platform group owns and manages a number of valuable capabilities that can be leveraged across Thomson Reuters including social tools, content production platforms, and news technology. The Platform PMO provides portfolio and project management for strategic platforms. These projects are large, highly visible, and cross-functional in nature.
The Platform group Editorial Solutions and Media Services team is seeking a high-energy, results-driven, motivated individual who combines strong project management skills with proactive leadership for the position of Senior Project Manager.
The mission of Editorial Solutions and Media Services is to envision and implement solutions supporting global Editorial news production (stories, photos, graphics, video, multimedia) with emphasis on tools for journalists that enable content creation, collection, organization and classification; automation, collaboration, and dissemination.
This role will initially focus on a program of work to overhaul the aging pictures production software utilized by Reuters Photographers around the globe which is no longer able to meet business and technical requirements. These projects will encompass the internal production platform as well as the software and services employed at special events such as the Olympics and World Cup.
– Oversee and monitor progress on complex and/or multiple projects relative to schedules, budgets and quality.
– Define, document and manage projects under both traditional and Agile methodologies actively participating in all phases of the project life cycle.
– Manage and track project resource forecasts, allocations, and utilization.
– Maintain adequate project controls to ensure projects deliver agreed benefits
– Identify, assess, and manage risks and issues.
– Effectively manage project team conflicts, build collaborative partnerships with stakeholders and facilitate commitment and decision-making.
– Stakeholder management.
– Work in a collaborative manner within a matrix organization.
– Estimate costs, timescales and resource requirements for the successful completion of each project to agreed scope and constraints.
– Prepare and maintain project plans and track activities against the plan.
– Implement an effective project communication plan and operating rhythm, including provision of regular and accurate reporting.
– Monitor costs, timescales and resources utilization and take action where these deviate from agreed tolerances.
– Manage change control gaining agreement for revisions from project stakeholders.
– Provide project leadership and manage the day-to-day activities of project team members. Note: the role as advertised does not have line management responsibility.
– Assist Capability Management in the development of Business Cases for new project work.
The global nature of the typical project team will require some flexibility in working hours in order to ensure sufficient interaction across time zones. Some travel may be required.
Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or similar discipline
Required Skills and Experience:
– Strong experience in a technology environment including project management experience
– Experience leading cross-functional, remote and virtual project teams
– Demonstrated project planning and management skills with working knowledge of project management methodology and software
– Ability to work in a matrix organization and manage projects with minimal supervision
– Ability to interact with senior management and business stakeholders
– Excellent communication and presentation skills
– Experience working with teams across several locations and time zones
– Detailed knowledge of resource allocation, budgeting, and project planning/scheduling
– Experience in Financial, News, or Media industries
– Experience in working with 3rd party vendors
– PMP Certification
– Certified Scrum Master
– Technology/Software Development background
– Knowledge of Agile and traditional software development project management
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one – collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 60,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance – and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.