Location: Washington D.C.
Title: Photo Editor
Nature, the international journal of science, seeks a talented, experienced Photo Editor for our Washington, DC editorial office. You will be part of a dynamic, award-winning London-based design and picture team, reporting to the Managing Picture Researcher in London.
As part of the team, you will:
· Source arresting images for weekly print and daily online stories, including news and opinion pieces
· Arrange photo shoots.
· Work closely with editors and designers to brainstorm/concept story visualization through photography
· Champion excellence in photography
· Handle administration in relation to the images you have sourced
· At least 5 years of full-time experience researching images for a news-oriented, deadline-driven media outlet
· Undergraduate degree or equivalent
· Experience commissioning original photography
· Expert knowledge of copyright, licensing and permissions for images on multiple platforms (print, digital, social)
· A passion for photography as means of conveying the gist of a story, and the ability to interpret image briefs
· Background in science, technology or medicine preferred but not essential
· Proven research skills, and comfort sourcing technical and scientific images
· A genuine interest in science and arts
· Ease with imaging software, MS office, and content management systems
· Experience with video and multimedia a plus
· Ability to travel to the UK for a few weeks each year
· Thrives under pressure
· Enthusiasm and perseverance
· Ability to prioritize workload and meet deadlines
· Meticulous attention to detail
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
· Team-player and problem solver
To apply: please send a resume and cover letter outlining how you meet our criteria including a link or links to your portfolio. Applications without portfolios will not be considered.
***Note: Our system only accepts a single document upload, so please upload all the required documents into a single file. Applications without all the necessary requirements will not be considered.
If you can not create a single document to include all of the requirements for posting, please reply to the thank you message you will receive at the conclusion of your application with any additional details.
Nature Publishing Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer. To learn more about Nature Publishing Group, please visit our web site at http://www.nature.com
To apply, please click on the following link: