The Emmy Award-winning Photography & Video department at the Detroit Free Press seeks a Staff Photographer to shoot and produce video, multimedia and photographic content for our publications across platforms.
We are looking for someone who is passionate about news and will find and report interesting daily news stories that people will talk about and want to share.
This photographer’s work will appear in the print edition of the Free Press as well as on our Web and mobile platforms.
* Strong news judgment and writing skills with emphasis on script writing and news production
* Ability to juggle multiple stories, multiple platforms and multiple media
* Superior video editing skills in Final Cut Pro – a fluency in Avid is OK
* Computer and audio/video equipment proficiency
* Creative approach to social media and alternative video production methods
* Ability to work well with others
* Strong ethics in news gathering and editing
We’re seeking candidates from all visual news organization backgrounds – whether that would be TV, a newspaper or a Web site.
Staff Photographers work a 37.5-hour workweek, must have a current driver’s license and insurance and must provide their own car, for which they are paid mileage. Shifts often include night and weekend hours.
Interested applicants should email Craig Porter at email@example.com or write to Craig Porter, Director of Photography & Video, Detroit Free Press, 615 W. Lafayette Blvd., Detroit, MI 48226.
Please include a resume, three to five references and a DVD and/or links showing your video and photographic work with an emphasis on daily stories.